Spring is desperately trying to poke its nervous head through the mounds of snow here and there, as we prepare to move from our home state of Michigan to the state of Virginia. We move in just two weeks, and I have become quite reflective as of late. Other than one year spent in Indiana, I have lived in Michigan my entire life. Along with reflecting on leaving my home state, I have also been anxiously anticipating the spring-like weather awaiting us in Virginia. I cannot wait to do my first happy dance of the year the moment my feet touch down on earth not hidden by snow. If you cannot tell, this winter has clung to us way too long.
What do you think of when you think of spring? Do you, like me, think of new life? If so, then you will enjoy this month’s letter of love, as we share about our family and childhood with our sponsored children.
Possible Topics to include:
• Share about the beginning of spring and how it reminds you of new life
• Share any special story surrounding your birth
• Introduce your family (parents, siblings, grandparents, ETC)
• Share your childhood hobbies
• Share about pets you had as a child
• Share favorite childhood memories of family activities, annual vacations, ETC
• Share childhood dreams and aspirations (what you wanted to be when you grew up)
• Share any difficult circumstances you faced as a child that you are comfortable sharing and how God brought you through them
• Share about people who were important role models in your life growing up
• Share about school (favorite and least favorite subjects, favorite teachers and why, ETC)
• Share about childhood friends and activities you did together. Are you still in contact?
• Share how childhood is an important time in development and encourage your sponsored child to enjoy this time of growth
• Let your sponsored child know you are praying for him/her to grow in Christ (be specific)
Possible Questions to ask:
- Can you tell me about your family (ask specifically about information not already given)
- What do you like to do for fun?
- Do you have any pets?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- Can you share about a time when God used you to minister to someone (think of 1 Timothy 4:12)
- What is your favorite/least favorite school subject?
- Can you share about your best friends?
- Can you tell me about an adult who has influenced you in a positive way and how?
Scriptures to share
Extra Goodies to send:
• A baby photo of you
• Photos of you growing up (maybe in a homemade photo album or collage)
• Photos from childhood vacations, special celebrations or milestones, ETC
• A homemade family photo album (label with names, relationship, birthday, hobbies, ETC)
Have you shared your family and childhood with your sponsored children? If so, what did you share? Did you send anything extra or unique with your letter? What responses did you receive? Writing a letter about our family and childhood reminds us how we are not that different from our sponsored child, and it can bring us closer together too.