“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).
As we have prepared over the past year to go to the Dominican Republic with Compassion International, we have been blessed by the many prayers and overwhelming support. In order to travel this November, we needed to guarantee we could have the funds available in time for our United States travel and lodging, immunizations, and other incidental expenses. To not lose the already paid for Compassion portion, we needed to make our final decision by the end of August as to whether or not we would go in November. We will not be traveling to the Dominican Republic in November of this year, but instead go to plan B.
Anticipating that the funds would not be available in time, we began the process of transferring our registration from the November 2013 trip to the April 2014 sponsor tour. Compassion has graciously agreed to transfer our non-refundable deposits for November to April. The Compassion portion of the April trip is less expensive than the November trip, so we will not owe any additional money to Compassion by traveling in 2014.
Through gracious and unexpected donations, we have met our financial goal! Words could not express how humbled we are by the generosity of those of you who donated in faith and support for this dream to be realized! However, as the transfer process was already started upon receiving the final donations, it would not be feasible to reverse the transfer process without major complications and the possibility of not traveling at all. Being that the April trip is over 6 months away, we will also have more time to purchase domestic airfare and lodging, get our immunizations, apply for our passports, ETC. In all honesty, we are breathing a sigh of relief about this. Moreover, the April 2014 Dominican Republic sponsor tour is an extended weekend trip that runs from Friday April 4 through Tuesday April 8. As Andy and I are both college students, we feel this extended weekend trip will better suit our schedules instead of juggling coursework while working diligently to enjoy the weeklong tour in November. With this change of plans, we would appreciate your continued prayers and encouragement.
- As the November trip dates draw near, please pray for our emotions, as we will not be traveling during this time as previously planned.
- Please pray for our final preparations over the next few months to go smoothly and without complication.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. We look forward to keeping you updated as our plans progress and the trip draws near.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6).