Dear family and friends,
In November of this year, Andy and I will celebrate 9 blessed years of marriage. We will also have the opportunity during this time to travel to the Dominican Republic with Compassion International as part of a group of Compassion sponsors. This is known as an exposure trip, because we will be exposed to the ministry of Compassion first-hand.
While we do not yet know all of the specific itinerary details for the trip, we do know that we will visit local churches in the Dominican Republic who have partnered with Compassion to provide holistic child development to the children in their community registered in their program. We will learn how these churches and their dedicated staff and volunteers nurture each child’s social-emotional, educational, physical and spiritual growth. We will learn about other programs Compassion implements that compliment the child sponsorship program, and we will visit Compassion’s Dominican Republic country office to learn more about the day-to-day operations of Compassion’s work from a field country perspective and to learn how important child-sponsor correspondence really is! Last but certainly not least, we will have the blessed opportunity to meet and spend an unforgettable day with Vladimir, our sponsored son since 2009.
This trip is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us to be able to answer the question “How do you know this ministry does what they say they’ll do?” by saying, “We have experienced Compassion’s work for ourselves.” Not every sponsor will have this opportunity, and much prayer, preparation, thought and planning goes into a trip such as this. We can not walk this road alone. Would you like to come alongside us as we come alongside our brothers and sisters in Christ? If God is leading you to be a part of this trip, here are some things you can do.
• First and foremost, we need prayer warriors to surround not just us, but everyone involved.
• Pray with us for the Compassion staff who are working tirelessly to plan this wonderful trip.
• Pray with us for the sponsors who are seeking God’s will as to whether they should join this trip.
• Pray with us for the staff and children in the Dominican Republic to be blessed abundantly.
• Pray with us for God to break the hearts of everyone on this trip for what breaks his, and for each of us to be open to fully experiencing anything He
has for us.
• Pray with us that God will bless those called to go on this trip with the finances to do so, and that all of the details — big and small will be worked out.
• Pray with us for God to bless those who feel led to financially support anyone going on this trip to overflowing for their generosity and obedience to God’s voice.
If God is leading you to help us fund this trip, we want to thank you in advance and we pray that God will bless you abundantly for your generosity!
We are estimating $7000.00 for both Andy and I to take this trip, and if we have budgeted above and beyond what we will need, any excess funds will be given to Compassion International when we return home to further their ministry in the Dominican Republic. Contributions to our trip are not considered tax deductible, as we will be receiving services in return.
Trip costs that we are planning for include the following.
Please note: Items marked with a * are paid for! Thank you to those who have contributed!
• Round-trip bus transportation between our home city and Chicago
• Airfare between Chicago and Miami
•lodging in Miami
• Passport application fees*
• Immunizations and medications associated with international travel
• Airfare between Miami and the Dominican Republic
• all meals and tips
• travel within The Dominican Republic
• Our sponsored child’s travel for the one day visit
• Guides and translators during the tour
• Admission fees
• departure tax and administrative costs
• Any other incidentals or specific costs we are currently unaware of at this time.
Please know that we are working with Compassion International’s tours department to make this trip as cost-effective as possible, and we ourselves will be actively fundraising and financially contributing as well. We understand that with the economy and other pressing financial needs, you may only be able to contribute a small amount. Anything you feel led to give will be greatly appreciated and used with the greatest of care and integrity.
You can give securely online, or if you know us personally you can contact us privately for our address To send your donation via mail.
Thank you for your prayers and support as we take this life-changing trip!